How To Save Your Dog’s Life If They Eat Chocolate.

On the very first episode of “Things I Learned Today,” I give you a rundown on a nifty little fact I discovered while randomly watching a Conan O’Brian episode. Scary right? It’s science. It’s pets. It’s potentially life-savingly awesome! This video will tell you all about how to save your dog’s life!

Chocolate is bad for dogs, we know this already. But do you know why it’s bad for them? The culprit of the threat to your little doggy’s life, is none other than Theobromine, a bitter alkaloid of the cacao plant that is also found in tea, the cola nut, cleaning chemicals, and even caffeine. Obviously, it’s also found in chocolate, which brings me back to all those cute little dogs in the world.

What would you do if your dog ate a bunch of dark chocolate? This is a toxic chemical for them to ingest, and if allowed to continue into the body past the stomach, could kill your furry friend. Talk about a sad face.


Luckily, you can make them throw it up quick with a little help from hydrogen peroxide! This induces vomiting quickly in the animal, and if done before the theobromine can make its way through the stomach and further into the body, this is proven to save them from it. Learn more from the video above. If you learned something new today, or if you already knew this fun fact and would still like to help the show, be sure to like and share the video with your friends.

[alert type=”success”]The best part about “Things I Learned Today” is the sharing element. It isn’t just about what I learned, but it’s about you as well! You can join in on the show by telling me what you learned today in the comments below! It’s fun. Join in.[/alert]

Charlie Pryor

Charlie is a media producer, writer, and a traveler. He grew up in Michigan, all of his life and attended Grand Valley State University for a B.S. in Film and Video Production. He's married to a wonderful woman named Hang, and simply hopes to one day turn himself into a man that many will remember long after he's gone.

You may also like...

8 Responses

  1. Linda Fike says:

    Very helpful tip for everyone with dogs to know… Especially with Halloween coming up!

  2. Ben Doty says:

    This is great information for dog lovers. I’ve shared this on my &my nieces fb. page in GA. Thanks!

  3. Teresa Pryor says:

    Great job Charlie. But maybe talk a little slower.

  4. Donna Rae Burton Sizemore says:

    So it is the DARK chocolate? Good to know. Judy's chihuahua ate M&M's once…… we have no idea how many……..and he was fine. But that would have been milk chocolate.
    So, something I learned today was don't suggest to your Mother a day of the week that would be best to do something she needed help with because the next time that day rolls around she will show up and expect you to do what she needs done (which involves engaging another person who has no idea you need her help). Oh, without a phone call to say she is coming. But I guess I should have known that would happen and clarified it a little more clearly. Anyway, it got done. And now she has a bathing suit for her trip altered to fit…..I hope. The straps were too long.

  5. Donna Rae Burton Sizemore says:

    Is there a way to get it to come to my Facebook page every day?

  6. Laura Finney says:

    LOL Donna; your Mom is great. Anytime she needs alterations done; just have her drop them off. I would be happy to help out.

  7. Bonnie Baker-Cook says:

    artificial sweeteners can be fatal also.

  8. johnnterry says:

    This induces vomiting quickly in the animal, and if done before the
    theobromine can make its way through the stomach and further into the
    body, this is proven to save them from it. 
    see more at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Pin It on Pinterest